Why Witty Agents Get More Business
FACT: Your ability to attract clients has less to do with your “credentials”… and everything to do with how people feel about you.
As a real estate agent in the “people business”, I doubt you’d disagree.
So what DO people think about you? (Particularly on social media).
Are you funny? Interesting? Relatable?
Or are you the opposite of that? 🙁
Trust me, it matters.
It matters because as an agent, you’ve been commoditized.
Reality check: Most people think that all agents pretty much do the same thing. In the same way. And for the same price.
That’s why you’ve GOT to stand out from all the rest.
And when you know exactly how to CONNECT with potential buyers and sellers on a personal, relational and emotional level…
… you’ll see twice the results than agents who are just trying to sell themselves based on the SAME BORING talking points of “what you do” and “how you help”.
Funny or boring… choose wisely
If you’re not familiar with me and my story, here’s the short version:
My name is Mike Bell.
I used to be a boring agent who couldn’t get any traction on social media. I’d stay up til 2 a.m. trying to figure out how to get people to engage with me online. I was sharing stuff from boring real estate websites that was technical and dry, wasn’t fun or interesting and made people want to take a nap.
This could not go on.
Something had to change.
So, I made a decision.
I gave myself permission to be fun and interesting. And wouldn’t ya’ know, that led to the creation of The Lighter Side of Real Estate which is my full-time business where I get to make a living helping real estate agents lighten up.
After I made the change from dull to delightful, the content I was creating went crazy viral. I started getting shares, likes, and comments in the tens of thousands. Our website even crashed (a lot) in the beginning because we started getting MILLIONS of hits per month, and still do.
Fast forward to 2016, and now we get more shares, on average, than freakin’ CNN for the articles we publish:
And the only thing I did is make a simple change. I did what you can start doing today. I did what I knew would work in real estate… because it works everywhere else.
What was it?
I decided to be funny.
The science behind the funniez
Ok, so think about your personal life. You like to laugh. So does everybody else. Not a shocker is it? And I bet that if I paid someone to do a stalk you and do a study of the stuff you share and engage with online, most of it is pretty dang hilarious.
A kid picks a flower and falls on his bum = funny
(I’ll be here all night folks).
Why does funny work in real estate marketing? Because people like, comment, and share stuff that makes them lol (as the kids say). This isn’t difficult to grasp right?
But most agents over-think their marketing strategy instead of just going with what works. Most agents (including my former agent self) are hesitant when it comes to being edgy, funny, or really… just being themselves.
They just are.
Maybe you are.
Bottom line: if you want to get noticed and stand out, you HAVE TO change. You have to utilize humor. You have to be witty. You have to meet them where they’re at and give them what they want.
“But Mike, that will never work with my business! It’s too much of a risk. People won’t take me seriously. I could lose business” sayeth you.
I object. Here’s why:
- It’s working for myself and lots of other agents right now
- If what you’re currently doing isn’t working, what do you have to lose anyways?
Need proof that funny works? Here ya go:
In a study on why content goes viral, Carson Ward says:
“Most obviously, content that is truly and broadly viral is almost always funny. One study interestingly titled “From subservient chickens to brawny men” found that despite 62% of ads being aired by Fortune 500 companies, 60% of viral ads were being generated by the smaller companies.”
The discussion continues:
“Humor was employed at near unanimous levels for all viral advertisements. Consequently, this study identified humor as the universal appeal for making content viral.”
That’s why Lighter Side content is so popular. I mean, check out the engagement on this stuff (and these aren’t even our most shared stuff; this is just me scrolling through our Facebook page a few minutes ago):
I’m still blown away everytime I see how popular our content is. And the cool part is that you’re 100% capable of doing the same thing.
More proof say you? Okay.
According to a study from the Mayo Clinic, laughter can:
- Stimulate many organs. Laughter enhances your intake of oxygen-rich air, stimulates your heart, lungs and muscles, and increases the endorphins that are released by your brain.
- Activate and relieve your stress response. A rollicking laugh fires up and then cools down your stress response and increases your heart rate and blood pressure. The result? A good, relaxed feeling.
- Soothe tension. Laughter can also stimulate circulation and aid muscle relaxation, both of which help reduce some of the physical symptoms of stress.
- Relieve pain. Laughter may ease pain by causing the body to produce its own natural painkillers. Laughter may also break the pain-spasm cycle common to some muscle disorders.
- Increase personal satisfaction. Laughter can also make it easier to cope with difficult situations. It also helps you connect with other people.
- Improve your mood. Many people experience depression, sometimes due to chronic illnesses. Laughter can help lessen your depression and anxiety and make you feel happier.
So being funny isn’t only good for business, it’s good for your health too. Now, I could list study after study and article after article on the benefits of being funny and using humor in marketing, but I think you get the point right?
- To be get noticed, you have to do something worth noticing.
- To be relevant to your market, you have to post and share stuff they want to see.
- To stand out from the crowd when everyone and their mother knows 27 real estate agents, you need to do something nobody else in your sphere is doing.
Got your attention?
I hope so.
Because I want to share something with you that will solve all of your marketing mishaps and help you unleash the funny-lol-inducing real estate agent that you’ve been hiding in the basement for all these years.
Ready to stand out?
Tired of pulling your hair out because you can’t figure out how to get traction on social media? If you want to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes and take your real estate marketing to the next level…